Friday, April 8, 2011

Goodbye Bailey

On April 6, we lost our 1st baby in the family.  Bailey was a senior dog, and would have been 15 in August.  Scott and I received him in 1996, when we first moved in our 1st house together in Michigan.

bailey1

Since then, we’ve moved around, had 3 kids, and he’s been there for all of it.  Scott brought up that he is the only one who has lived with us in all of our homes. 

At our Michigan house he spent his puppyhood.  His first Halloween he attacked the pumpkins!

bailey3

This is his first piece of pizza at 6 months old. From that point on, anytime we had pizza to eat…you guessed it – he would eat some.  That was really the only table food he wanted ever!

bailey2

This is by far my absolute favorite picture of Bailey in his good days. I loved his tail and pretty red coat. He really was the most beautiful pup!

bailey4

He always loved to cuddle…

bailey9

After Michigan, we moved to Columbus (Hilliard) where our first two kids called home for a bit.  Here’s Bailey on our front porch…oh so cute.

bailey5

When we moved to Texas, so did Bailey. 

bailey6

And Georgia, well..I can’t find those pictures, but he was there too!

And this was our current home (backyard) where our Christmas card picture was taken in 2009.

DSC_0057a

In addition to our homes, he has visited Grandma and Grandpa Stalter’s Toledo, 2 lake homes, and current home. And of course lived a bit with Scott’s parents too at both of their homes.

Yep – he’s been around.

Bailey was my constant companion. Always here whenever I needed to vent, or just talk to him when I walked through the door.  He always had the sweetest personality, and the most beautiful coat of fur and tail.  I miss him terribly. 

bailey7bailey8

On the day before he passed, he vomited, and couldn’t even keep water down. He spent the night in the garage, and the next day seemed a little better.  After much thought I walked him around the yard, and brought him into the house.   He went to our bathroom floor (which is often where he laid) and laid down.  He never got up again.

We called the vet and he said based on what he knew over the phone, and given that he was almost 15, he thought it best to put him down.  We called The Ohio State Veterinary center and they said to go ahead and bring him in.

We woke the kids up to say goodbye.  We were all a mess…tears and sobbing.  It was horrific.  I never knew losing a dog would be that traumatic on our family.  As much as I was prepared for it with all the medicines, etc. he was on, I wasn’t prepared for putting him down.

Scott and I carried him out on his pillow and blanket to the car. He never moved. Just laid there listless. But when we asked him if he wanted to go, he wagged his tail one last time.

Max thought he needed to give him a blanket to cover up.  He thought Bailey needed it.  I wish it could have saved him.  He was the best dog ever. 

Goodbye Bailey…Boo Boo..Bay Bay…Bailey Boo….We miss you horribly, but know you are keeping Grandpa John and Grandma Gerry company in heaven.  I hope Grandpa John gave you an egg for breakfast.  One day we will see you again.  Love you!

IMG_0424IMG_0425

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, that makes me cry just reading it. What a sweet dog. So faithful to your family.

Amy said...

That is so sad! I am sorry for you and your family. We have never had to have the experience, but as Milly is getting older (over 13 now), I can tell that that day is not too far from now. I know it is going to be so sad!

Claire-n-Kate's Mom said...

Tears, tears, tears. Hugs to all. So hard to lose our furry babies.