Saturday, December 4, 2010

Scale Olympics

Max and Megan have been working so hard the last few months in preparation for this event.  Scale Olympics is a piano competition for students to compete for ribbons in events (blue is 1st place and red is 2nd place).  Each student is required to do a theory test, scales, triads, arpeggios, sight reading, inversions, and transposing a piece in 3 keys.  Yep, it sounds like a lot! I don’t think I even knew at their ages all of that!

The competition is held at Otterbein College.  Here are Max and Megan outside the School of Music and Arts.  IMG_0496They registered as “buddies” which meant they went from room to room with each other while Scott, Mia and I waited in the big auditorium.  Here they are registering for their events. Max competed in all 8, and Megan competed in 6. IMG_0489 We weren’t allowed to follow them or hear them play before the judges, all we did was wait for them to come back and get their ribbons.  I don’t know who was more nervous  - Max and Megan, or Scott and I.  The waiting to see them seemed like forever!

When they came back, they were all smiles!  Megan received 6 Blue ribbons for her events.IMG_0494 Max received 7 blue ribbons, 1 red ribbon, and an overall achievement ribbon (yellow) for competing in all 8 events.  He did much harder transposing of Silent Night in 3 keys.  He was especially nervous, and was disappointed he messed up enough to get red.  But, we think they both did great!IMG_0495 It is 2 years before the event is held again. Both of them said they wanted to go back. Who knows, maybe we will have 3 kids in Scale Olympics by then!

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a great accomplishment!

Julie said...

That is AMAZING! Great job