Friday, December 14, 2007

Snooping and Lessons Learned


Do you snoop? It's the time of year when Christmas is near. My kids don't snoop. I can't believe they don't. When I was their age I did. I guess I do a great job of hiding everything since I am a snooper. Call it the kid in me. I snoop.
My husband hates that I snoop. The first year we dated I'd shake the box and tell him what it was. The first year we were married a box came when I happened to be home w/ a Longaberger Snowman. He was ticked because the snowman was drawn on the box. Othewise I wouldn't have known. (Now I think he ships everything to work!) Every year he tries so hard to hide everything from me.

The last few years I haven't snooped. Really I haven't. (He doesn't believe me) But yesterday out of curiosity, I did a little digging. I was sitting in the Doc's office w/ Max who isn't feeling well. I said "So what is Daddy getting me for Christmas"? Of course I thought he wouldn't really know. But instead he gives me the 1st letter. Now not many things start w/ a W. So I said a Wii game. He smiled.

"It's on TV" he says.
"American Idol game?"
"No"
"High School Musical game?"
" NO - Mom I can't tell you!" " OK - it starts with a D"
"Dancing with the stars game?"
"Yes"

So, fast forward to a day of him laying on the couch and Dad arrives home. Of course I tell him what I learned. Max breaks out in tears and Mommy feels the guilt. He had broken his Dad's trust - a lesson he should learn at some point, but one I shouldn't have given him yesterday. After longs talks and forgiveness, I see now how snooping around isn't really beneficial.

No more snooping for me. (But for the record I will be learning the cha-cha!)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh friend, I'm sorry your snooping turned into something so dramatic. Normal holiday fun becoming a life lesson -- that's hard. I'm glad you and Max both learned something valuable. And you may still be surprised at Christmas. It's not too late to exchange the game! :)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Oh, hard lesson ... I was a HUGE snooper too and had some major life lessons as a kid (my parents/brother returned the things I found). Now I don't snoop at all ... how can I when Phil buys nothing till the day before?? :)