Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chinese Classes

Our local Families with Children from China have several classes we can pick from when the kids become of age. Mia is finally able to attend some classes as a preschooler. First we attended Chinese language with Miss Sabrina. She wants the kids to use Chinese with her, and therefore we only go by our Chinese name - Mia's is Ni La from her given name (Fu Ni La). When the teacher said "Who is Ni La?" Mia raised her hand! I'm glad to know she hasn't forgotten, which is why we kept her whole name as part of her American name.

After Chinese language, we headed to Chinese dance. Mia has been wanting to take dance, and honestly for a 3 year old, the classes are outrageously priced. So, this is a great cheap option for us. She will take the class and perform at Chinese New Year in February. Not only does she get to dance, but she's learning about her heritage. Miss Sisi was very patient with everyone who is only 3-4 years old. It's pretty cute to see them all try to dance.







5 comments:

Jenny said...

How cool! I love that those kinds of classes all the way in Ohio- a far cry from China! I'm sure Mia will so appreciate learning about her heritage. Can't wait to see video of the Chinese New Year performance!

Claire-n-Kate's Mom said...

Now that is too darn cute. Wouldn't her foster family be proud?? :0) Have fun sweet Mia!

amy said...

I think it's awesome that they offer those classes in your area! I've never heard of that before. I love that you are teaching her about her birth country from a young age. You're such good parents!!

Julie said...

Mia looks so cute in her dance outfit! I just love dance outfits - so so adorable.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a great opportunity. I think it's so neat that those classes are available for Mia.