Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mia's new purchase....


I knew it was coming. The dreaded eye appointment for my 3 year old. Mia's been complaining of "not seeing" for months now. I first made an appt in October, but then cancelled after she quit complaining. But in January it started again. This time at her friends birthday party - she said "I can't see Mama" and it was a huge princess color pad about 3 feet away. I noticed she sits close to the TV, but what kid doesn't?
So a few months ago I made an appt. with a pediatric Opthamologist who has experience with adopted Chinese children. Sure enough after a morning full of games to check everything...Mia needs glasses. She is severely near sighted in one eye, with a astigmatism also. The other eye is not as bad, but is different enough for the doctor to worry she would eventually favor one eye if she were to continue without glasses. So, we marched out of the office and picked out these cute Disney frames. She was upset when we left that she couldn't take them with her. They have to be ordered, but will be here soon. I'll post a picture of her when I get it. Makes me sad she's experiencing eye trouble already. Although the other kids, Scott, and myself also wear them, it was til ages 6/7 that we were all diagnosed!
The one thing that broke my heart was when she tried the "lens" glasses. When they slid in the lenses for her to try, she looked at me and said "Now I can see you Mama!". I guess it is a good thing I went! I definitely want her to see and experience the world..so now she will! I just hate covering up her beautiful face!

4 comments:

Kim V. said...

She will still look adorable even w/glasses.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

She'll be so cute in those glasses! Glad you found out she's not seeing well. Her comment about seeing you is adorable. I remember Elijah being like that after he first got glasses ... he was shocked by the world around him.

amy said...

I love her statement to you. It's not good that she needs them, but I bet she'll be cute as ever with the glasses on!

Julie said...

I am sure it won't be long until our kids will need glasses too.
Dean was blind before lasik and I still wear lovely contacts!

Can't wait to see the adorable picture of her and her new glasses